The Sisters will remain the sponsors of SHS, which are Catholic schools founded by the Ursuline Sisters of Louisville, beginning in 1877 with the establishment of Sacred Heart Academy. Ursuline Sisters continue to be engaged with SHS through class visits, school Masses and special events, as well as serving on the SHS Board of Trustees.
The Ursuline Motherhouse is currently undergoing renovation to add a new front entrance that will be handicapped accessible. The Motherhouse will become the administrative center of the campus with all SHS administrative staff and Ursuline Sisters’ administrative staff headquartered in the building by June, 2020. There are future plans for a Heritage room that will include historical photos and objects.
Shared space in the Motherhouse includes the chapel, library and several other rooms. The Ursuline Sisters will continue to hold Masses and funerals in the chapel, and the Sisters’ ministries such as the Ursuline Associates and the Angela Merici Center for Spirituality will continue to hold retreats, workshops and gatherings in the Motherhouse. The schools will hold Masses in the chapel, as well as concerts and other events.
Ursuline President Sister Janet Marie Peterworth stated, “This has been a long-term, thoughtful dialogue within our community, and we believe this is a perfect situation. This allows us to continue our ministry of influence and still be very engaged with the schools that we founded. We have made this decision, in order to better serve the needs of others, living out Saint Angela Merici’s advice: “If, according to times and circumstances, the need arises to make new rules or do something differently, do it prudently and with good advice.”